Social

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Xbox: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

We all know two things, I’m no superstar when it comes to first person shooters and I have no deep and abiding love of anything zombie related.  That caveat in place, I absolutely adore Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare on the Xbox One.

It isn’t blood, guts and gore like the realistic first person shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield.  There is no gore or disgusting graphics that you usually find in zombie games.  Instead it is adorable sweet plants battling equally adorable zombies.  There is no single player campaign it is just straight up multiplayer mayhem that makes me giggle and laugh every time I fire up the game.

pvz-soldier

There are incentives for cooperative team play, you revive a fallen team member and you remove a point from the opposing team.  You can change “professions” anytime you die and respawn rather than waiting for a revive from a teammate.  What that means that if you have too many healers or ranged dps, then you can switch up on the fly. 

There is the opportunity to change the look of your character through unlocks earned via the sticker system.  There is no cash shop and therefore no pay to win argument.  You earn “coins” in game to purchase sticker packs which you can then purchase to unlock character customizations, consumables, and rare characters.

The game is sweet and just enjoyable.  I would have no trouble having a younger member of the family play the game.  There is no overt violence that would make me cringe as a parent.  Sure the plant or zombie is trying to kill the opposition but it isn’t a game focused on the killing so much as the importance of teamwork than the one elite dude running around sniping everyone regardless of objectives.

The game is going to be my go to for multiplayer for the spring and summer.  There is just something relaxing about coming in from working in the garden and slaughtering zombies (aka weeds) as revenge.  I admit it the gardener in me is very vindicated every time I blow-up a zombie.

1 comment: