Social

Friday, May 11, 2012

Weekend Beta First Impressions of Kingsmouth Calling

Sonora_picture000

Frist impression is incredibly positive.  Yes I have had bugs pop-up, crashes, and glitches however I expect those when beta testing.  Logging in and authentication errors have not happened for either myself or hubby.  Character creation is not everything it could be but I knew from the notes attached to the beta that there would be many more options at launch.  I will be very happy with character creation at launch if they allow for much more personalization and customization over things like weight, height, age, muscular features, etc. Hair styles, especially for women, need MASSIVE upgrades.

We are both running the client in DX11 with no major issues.  Frame rates are a pretty consistent 50+ for each of us.  There are times when that drops quickly but luckily those instances appear to be isolated.  No problems with cards over heating or processors cooking themselves.

Character21160595_picture000

 

I am quite liking the gameplay and I don’t mind the animations.  I honestly don’t get what everyone is complaining about when it comes to animations.  The ability wheel is going to be a very fun tool to try out amazing combos with as the game launches and grows.  It may completely, HA HA HA, eliminate the need for alts.

Sonora_picture006

Tutorials and new player help are very well designed and thought out.  The combination of text and video based new player instructions is a nice change.  The map is truly impressive when you use it, especially for the direction impaired like myself.  It doesn’t make things stupid simple but it is a great graphical representation of the environment.  I can honestly say I haven’t gotten lost using it and for me that is a first.

Are there things I would like improved?  Oh yeah, the text in general is too small and poor colored for those of us over the age of 40 something (even with reading glasses on).  And the subtitled aren’t currently movable and often overlap chat box or ability bar which tends to get annoying. 

Gorawen_picture000

I’m off to go make a blade based character and test how it compares to the hammer character. 

Sonora_picture008

No comments:

Post a Comment