Social

Friday, July 27, 2012

Dabbling in Rift

2012-07-26_172616

Way back when, we played Rift while it was still in beta.  It was enjoyable but in the end we decided to not invest in an unknown company with an unknown product.  Flash forward more than a year, and Rift is still going strong and has announced their first expansion, Storm Legion

So with their free to play version, I logged into my account and stepped back into the world of Telara.  The first thing I noticed is that the number of shards (servers) has been greatly reduced from beta, but that server populations on North America shards appeared to be healthy for a midday login. 

My first character is a cleric soul, Inquisitor in nature.  She is a blast to play and I can’t put my finger on precisely why.  It probably has to do with her survivability as ranged dps that is capable of healing herself.  It also doesn’t hurt that character creation is decent.  A reasonable number of choices and colors to pick and choose from.  I also like that none of the women models are rail thin or look like they would blow away in a light breeze and certainly couldn’t swing anything heavier than a nail file.

The mobile application is great!  The ability to earn in-game items for my characters while goofing around on the tablet is fun and engaging.  Guild interactive features and chat is also very nice. Many of Trion’s competitors could learn from the Rift interactive, offline experience.

So, am I making the leap and upgrading my account?  Still on the fence but Trion has made upgrading easy and cost effective.  The subscription model, currently on sale, has plenty of models to choose and multiple months include veteran rewards.  More play time, different class and faction will help make that determination.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment