Social

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rift: Beginning Adventures

2012-07-27_101931

First off let me issue a small confession, I am the world’s most spoiled wife.  Sure there are other wives who are swimming in jewels, money, and material things but they are not spoiled.  I am spoiled simply because I have the love of a good man who manages to surprise and indulge me all the time.  He noticed I was having fun playing Rift and he silently converted my trial to subscription, he decided to join me as well, making my game play that much more fulfilling.  It’s the little things he does every day that make me cherish him and realize he makes my life complete.  It is a very safe assumption that after all these years, I love him more today than I thought possible.

Sappy stuff out of the way, now onto Rift.  I tried a lot of classes and both factions before settling into playing yesterday.  We choose Guardian faction, although I’m not sure how long that will last to be honest.  I was playing a mage and he a ranger.  As I was slightly ahead of him leveling wise we didn’t adventure together most of the day but did do multiple rifts together. 

2012-07-28_095815

First day impressions are generally positive.  The community on the shard we choose is friendly and chat does not seem to be filled with individuals that make you want to pull your hair out while screaming.  Rifts are fun, once you get the feel for the flow of the immediate change of gameplay interruption.  Crafting is useful and does not feel like an endless grind for resources.  It can be a little challenging to figure out what gathering skills are appropriate pairings for production skills.  I will admit to tabbing our more than once to check for answers.

Tips we learned through trial and error, or outright huh? moments:

  • Souls (classes) can be changed if there are zero points spent in that soul by clicking on the soul icon in the soul builder (talent tree).  So for example, you really want to play a druid cleric soul you will need to swap out a melee offensive soul for the druid soul.
  • Fishing is profitable!  In less than an hour of fishing, with less than 50 skill, I fished up more than one platinum in currency, one rare caster waist, and one epic caster sword.  The cash infusion was nice, although it isn’t especially difficult to earn cash.
  • Rifts can truly happen at any moment and if you get frustrated having your questing interrupted, you will NOT enjoy Rift.  However, if questing isn’t your thing, Rifts are fun and they level you quickly.   Cash and crafting materials are harder to get strictly leveling via rifts but you do obtain an alternate form of currency that can be exchanged for rare and epic upgrades.
  • Faction increases are not difficult to obtain.  Questing rewards give decent faction where applicable and rifts give out faction when applicable with the corresponding faction.

Did we have fun?  Yes!  I think we are going to switch to Defiant faction however.   He enjoyed it much more when we played in the beta and I enjoy it more now.  I really enjoy the rifts.  They are spontaneous and can be quite challenging. 

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment