Social

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Lord of the Rings Online: Helm’s Deep Expansion Class Guides

ScreenShot00002

Lord of the Ring’s Online latest expansion drops in two weeks, Helm’s Deep.  The NDA on the beta testers was lifted on Monday and class guides have been posted for upcoming changes for all classes.  Every class is seeing major changes this expansion, and as you might expect the forums and players are full of differing opinions.  I didn’t beta test for this expansion but personally I believe that the changes are going to be a great thing for the game.

LOTRO has a terrific story that everyone is familiar with on some level.  However, the game suffers from slow game play compared to the newer, shinier competition that exists in the flooded marketplace.  Yet, LOTRO is among the best niche games out there in my opinion.  It has positive, uplifting quest lines (helping the farmers in Oatbarton is one of my favorites), the community is generally more mature and helpful than other games out there, and there is constant communication with the development team.

Now, I know a lot of people are plenty pissed off about the class changes coming in the expansion but honestly, it’s time to get over it.  Games change and adapt and players need to comprehend that to continue to enjoy the game in the real world.  Turbine needs to be profitable and adapt to the marketplace, and cash shop income will only go so far.  I think the class changes will make the game more accessible to a new generation of players, enhance game for those of us who find game play slow at times, and will work as a reboot of classes.  Yes, players who are sitting at max level right now may have to learn to replay their class entirely but with changes come opportunities.

I’m looking forward to the changes and relearning my classes as I continue to level.  I just wish Turbine would implement a paid character transfer service but I’ve wished that for as long as I’ve played LOTRO and have come to accept that will never happen.  If you haven’t played LOTRO or have been away for a while, double experience is in effect until the expansion goes live on 18 November 2013.  So, drop by and have a beer with a hobbit and immerse yourself in Middle Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment