Social

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rift: Defiant at Last

2012-07-31_135818

We have switched factions to Defiant and are pleased.  I am puzzled about something and haven’t quite figured out the answer for myself yet, why didn’t Rift crush WOW?  There are enough similarities that WOW players would feel comfortable instantly, the gameplay is dynamic, there are more than enough ways to level without traditional questing, and there is the proverbial “endgame”.  I haven’t figured out the answer to the question yet.

My highest character so far is level 20 and I’m having a blast.  Now we all know I love questing, well written quests keep me subscribed to a game for years.  However in Rift, it isn’t the quests (don’t get me wrong they are there and okay) it’s the dynamic alternative methods of leveling I’m loving. 

Instant Adventures are truly a brilliant concept and why more developers haven’t latched onto this idea baffles me.  The ability to “quest” with a random group of strangers, auto-mentored to adjust your level to the group, level appropriate rewards, and still have time to gather materials is so well done.  Instant Adventure is the way my cleric and mage characters will be leveling early on. 

Rifts are also another fantastic way to level, and level quickly.  After yesterday’s emergency hotfix, Freemarch erupted into a zone wide, huge rift and my ranger quickly went from level 13 to level 17.  it was a blast running around in a raid group and contributing to kills which otherwise would have killed me in one shot.  This is what I always thought raiding would be like if I’m honest.  Fast paced, dynamic, spontaneous, and free form, not the country and western line dance that “end game” raids are designed to be. 

My huge recommendation for new players, get a mount as early as possible.  It will make life much, much easier while participating in rift events and instant adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment