Social

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rift: On Why it Didn’t Crush WOW

2012-08-23_100955

A couple of weeks ago I pondered why Rift didn’t crush WOW.  I think I have an answer to my own question finally.  Rift has many, many great qualities I adore in a video game but there are two things that drive me batty when I log on at odd hours. 

The first is feeling like I’m the only person currently logged into the game.  This has happened to me more than once when a bout of insomnia hits.  I log on and even though I’m in one of the capital cities, there have literally been no other players around.  It’s weird. 

The second thing, and I think for me this one is a much larger thorn in my side, is questing constantly interrupted by rifts.  I understand they are vital to the lore and such, but honestly there are times I just want to quest and soak up the lore without being attacked by planar monsters.  Yeah I know, questing isn’t what the cool kids do but thank god I’ve never been one of the cool kids!

Don’t get me wrong, I will continue to play Rift.  I’ve just decided to level my characters exclusively via PvP or instant adventures.  Clairee, pictured above, is just shy of level 39.  I’m enjoying the game very much still, I just wish it didn’t feel so empty sometimes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment