Social

Monday, September 10, 2012

World of Warcraft: What WOW Could Borrow from Other Games

WoWScrnShot_090612_075329

Well, I finally got around to claiming my Spectral Gryphon … thanks Honey, I know how much you wanted to resub to WOW.  But all my characters look awesome on her so I will always smile when I fly around on her.

So, all of my characters are 85 except my druid who is at 84, half way to 85 though.  I wanted them to all be able to queue for the Theramore event when it starts a week from tomorrow.  I haven’t picked up Tides of War yet but next time we are out and about running errands I will be picking it up.  Although I might just go ahead and pick-up the e-book instead. 

As I’ve leveled the last couple of weeks, I’ve realized that WOW could really benefit from borrowing a couple of ideas from the competition.

Mentoring: While leveling in WOW isn’t difficult or necessarily time consuming, it would be extremely nice if mentoring were possible in WOW.  Then friends and couples who play together but don’t have equal play time, could stop worrying about out leveling friends.  Everquest 2 and Rift have both implemented mentoring seamlessly into the game.  No NPC intervention required, just adjust your level to your parties and off you go to experience content together.  Everquest 2 also has the brilliant self-mentoring option which does cost gold, but allows you to mentor down to experience content without being capable of wiping out the entire zone. 

Instant Adventures and/or 2 Person Instances: Rift has both of these and both are brilliant, alternative ways to level.  Instant adventures automatically party up and mentor higher level characters to the appropriate level for the content.  It offers rewards based on “quests” completed and that are appropriate for the natural level of the character.  Two person instances are great for people that solo or prefer not to be a member of a huge guild.  It is especially nice if you only have a couple of hours to play at night and don’t want to hang around waiting for a pick-up group that may or may not successfully complete a five man instance.  Scenarios are a good step in the right direction but from what I’ve read recently they are going to be very difficult and I still will need another person if hubby and I want to try a scenario. 

Armor Dyes: Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, among other games, have the ability to change the color of armor.  Doesn’t sound like a big deal but it is something I really, really wish WOW would put in the game.  I am so very, very tired of brown, drab armor that may or may not have some muted colors tossed in.  It is nice that they have implemented Transmogrification but I’m still stuck with the same drab armor as others.  It may be the armor of my choice appearance wise, but it is still drab in color.  Honestly, I’m a girl I want armor that has some color to it! 

I’m not complaining and I don’t think WOW needs to revamp itself entirely to emulate the competition and new games.  I do think that it can reinvent itself over time and keep itself revitalized and interesting.  It’s time to realize that gamers aren’t all in our teens and twenties, thinking raiding is the ultimate accomplishment, or that “catering” to the “casuals” is a bad thing. (Personally, when any game has scheduled times where you must show up for events like raids then it is no longer a game and it has become a job.) 

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure Theramore doesn't release until Sept 22nd

    ReplyDelete